Early today, pandemonium struck Onitsha Main market over the death of a trader.
Though the story surrounding the man’s death is cloudy, these are some facts about the death:
1. The man killed is known as Ndubisi Nwokolo. He is said to have an acquaintance to the native Onitsha people.
2. His killers are a gang under the leadership of a man called “Ikanda”. Ikanda is said to run “Onitsha South”. He is said to be a top man within the MASSOB (Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra) and feared around Onitsha.
3. Mr. Nwokolo was killed as a result of a brawl for royalty to be paid to Ikanda.
4. The incident occurred at Bida Road, Main Market Onitsha.
5. Riots crippled down the largest market in West Africa.
Photo credit: Frank Onyi